Another night with Bruce

Unfortunately, I was not in attendance at last night's Bruce Marathon at Citizens Bank Park. Getting up at 3 a.m. is not conducive to attending concerts where the star is still on stage at midnight.

That's right, unless you have not heard, Springsteen and E Street Band Mates broke their record for longest U.S. show with a concert that checked in at four hours, three minutes and change.

While I was not there, I did have something of a Springsteen moment earlier this summer.

While vacationing in Colorado, I had the chance to revisit Red Rocks Park. If you've never been there - or never seen a concert there - I would definitely recommend adding it to your bucket list.

It's an amphitheatre carved out of a natural rock formation in the foothills just west of Denver.

I always liked to sit fairly high up in the seats to take advantage of one of the most spectacular concert sights you'll ever see. When you get about half way up the in the stands, at night as you gaze down on the stage, you can see the lights of downtown Denver twinkling in the backkground.

In the summer of 1978, I saw Springsteen there after the release of Darkness on the Edge of Town. It remains one of the greatest concerts I've ever seen.

Now comes the kicker.

You know how many people Red Rocks holds.

I actually went into the museum on my visit to check it out.

When it's full, Red Rocks holds a grand total of 9,450.

I can't imagine Bruce ever playing that kind of venue again.

I also saw John Denver there, along with a show featuring the Eagles and Dan Fogelberg. Denver actually was very good, as were the Eagles, but there is only one Boss.

Seeing him in that setting is something you never forget.

Even 38 years later.

Comments