Weather or not, here comes the forecast

It used to be I could reserve my weather rants to winter.

I guess I better add the hurricane season to the list.

I understand this is something less than an exact science.

So why not just tell people that. Why not just tell people you really don't know what course the storm is going to take.

For much of last week, leading up to a very important Labor Day holiday for shore businesses, all we heard about was Hurricane, then Tropical Storm Hermine, and the danger it posed to the Delaware and New Jersey shorelines.

As it turns out, the storm didn't take the expected path.

I'm stunned.

Yes, the shore got some winds and heavy surf. The ocean was pretty much off limits because of the wild waves and rip currents. The rest of us were supposed to get a wet, windy weekend.

Uh, not exactly.

Yes, we got some wind. But both Saturday and Sunday were really glorious, sunny days.

It was much the same thing at the beach.

Look, I understand the need to be safe rather than sorry.

Even governors got bamboozled by this storm. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie issued a state of emergency for several shore counties. The thing that bothers me is the assuredness so many TV weather folks were using concerning this storm.

I seem to remember the word "washout" being used again and again when it comes to the weekend.

Why not simply indicate that you really don't know what's going to happen, but here is what the latest computer models are telling us.

In this instance, once again, the computer models were wrong.

And once again I wonder about the economic hit this kind of forecast delivers, especially for many small businesses at the shore that need that final revenue boost from the Labor Day weekend.

I don't think things are going to change.

We can now wait breathlessly for the first snowflakes to fall.

As usual, it will be all weather all the time.

Comments