The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

It's a season of firsts for the Eagles.

First season under new head coach Doug Pederson.

First season for wunderkind rookie QB Carson Wentz.

Now we get to see how this team reacts to their first bye week under the new regime.

Raise your hand if you were bummed by the fact that this red-hot team had to sit out last week, with the interruption coming disturbingly early in the season.

I get the feeling the bye is not going to cool off the Birds.

So far Pederson has been pushing all the right buttons. He still hasn't lost a game as boss of the Birds. He ran the table in preseason and has been a perfect 3-0 in the regular season.

What can you say about Wentz? Wins over the lowly Browns and Bears were certainly welcomed, but almost expected. Most of the experts believed the Eagles would fall back to earth against the powerful Steelers.

Instead, Wentz again dissected a defense like a 10-year veteran.

Jim Schwartz's defense befuddled Ben Roethlisberger and the Eagles spanked the mighty Steelers, 34-3.

That set tongues wagging all across the league.

Here's a tip. The Eagles are for real. And that means you beat the teams you are supposed to beat. I expect that to be the result Sunday. The Lions are not a good team. After a win on opening day, they have now lost three straight.

Make it four.

The Pick: Make it Eagles 31, Lions 10. Wentz should have another big day, but it is the defense that is slowly but surely becoming the calling card of this team. And remember Schwartz is headed back to the city that decided he was not head coach material after all. Can you say chip on your shoulder? And not Chip Kelly, either.

Last Week: The Birds made a serious statement in totally dominating the Steelers to run their record to a perfect 3-0. The doubter in me didn't see that one coming. My record dipped to 2-1. I'm back on board this week.

Game by Game: Eagles 29, Browns 10 (My Pick: Eagles 19, Browns 13)

Eagles 29, Bears 14 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Bears 16)

Eagles 34, Steelers 3 (My Pick: Steelers, 26, Eagles 23)

Comments

Dannytheman said…
If I am not mistaken, your worst prediction in the last 3 years was the Pittsburgh game? I say that as an admirer of how well you predict games and especially game scores. That being said, I am happily returning HOME after my 3.5 year exodus. Be back some time in November, hoping I can buy you a beer!

Dan