A day to honor those who served; & for me, a very special day

It is the day we set aside each year to honor those who don a uniform and put dedicate themselves to the defense of this little experiment we call America.

This year, perhaps more than any other, I think we need to take time to salute those who make that sacrifice.

We are three days out from the fundamental exercise of our democracy. We elected Donald Trump the 45th president of the United States.

Not everyone is happy with that decision.

Many are taking to the streets to offer their displeasure.

Today in Media, they will take to the streets for a different reason. You can see a full rundown of today's Veterans Day activities in the county here.

The county seat holds what could arguably be said is the foremost Veterans Day celebration in the region - if not the nation. We are a nation of many people. But we have just one democracy. It has propelled us to be the greatest nation on Earth.

Much was made in this campaign about "making America great again."

I happen to think it always was.

Today we honor the men and women who defended that notion.

More than ever, we owe them a debt of gratitude. For what they have done, and no doubt for what they will be called to do once again. Happy Veterans Day. * On a personal note, I have another reason to mark Veterans Day.

No, I never put on the uniform. I never served.

Still, for me Nov. 11 is a momentous day.

It was 30 years ago today, at 2:44 a.m., that my daughter came into this world.

Three decades later, she is an attorney, working for the Justice Department in Washington, D.C. Yes, she also is part of this invigorating experiment we call democracy.

I could not be more proud.

Happy Birthday, Bean.

Please tell me you are not 30. How old does that make me?

Comments

Jane Yavis said…
Happy Birthday, Bean, you share a birthday with a a favorite niece, and uncle.