Accepting the results of election

I don't think it's going to come as a big surprise to anyone that I'm disappointed with the results of Tuesday's election.

I was backing Hillary Clinton. And said so in my Monday weekly Letter From the Editor. That piece sparked as much comment and reaction as anything I've written.

This one is simple. While I have my share of issues with Secretary Clinton, I found her to be light years ahead of Mr. Trump in terms of being a viable president.

Clearly, the voters did not agree.

A huge swath of the American public is angry. Very angry. So angry that they decided to back a real estate mogul and reality TV host with not a single shred of government or military experience for the most important job in the universe.

Having said all that, I'm not sure I understand the point of the protests that broke out across the nation yesterday in response to Tuesday's voting.

In Philadelphia, a couple thousand people took to the streets to protest the result of the election.

Sure, they have that right. It's guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. I don't think Mr. Trump has changed that yet.

Fine, you delivered your message.

But did you hear the message delivered by both President Obama and Hillary Clinton yesterday.

Both said what some refuse to acknowledge.

Donald Trump is going to be the 45th president of the United States.

Now is not the time to push new and deeper divisions. Now is the time to unite.

There will be plenty of time to see if Trump will remain good to his word, offered after he claimed victory, that it is now time to "bind the wounds of division."

He won. He deserves that chance.

Comments