Lessons from my father

I used my print column today to revisit - hopefully for the last time - some of the things I've written about the presidential election.

So of course the headlines today are full of the talk of recounts. Now Hillary Clinton is joining forces with third party candidate Jill Stein in challenging the results in Michigan.

Did I miss something, or were these not the same people who were complaining bitterly about the prospect of Donald Trump not accepting the results of the election.

At any rate, what I eventually got to in today's column is something more important that any election.

I'm talking about family.

Specifically, my father.

He taught me the value of silence.

Unfortunately, that is not always a good thing.

This photo that you see is a picture of my dad in what certainly was one of his favorite spots on earth, seated at the bar at the old Oxford Hotel in the little town where he grew up. Behind the bar is my uncle, Pete Watterson.

My dad would stop at the hotel literally every night for a beer on his way home.

I'm guessing there was not that much talk there at the bar - no politics, no fights, no feuding.

Just they way the "Quiet Man" would like it.

I didn't learn a lot of things from my father. He didn't pick up that moniker for nothing. We called him 'The Quiet Man' for a reason. I guess maybe I learned more than I thought.

You can read my print column here.

Comments