A tale of 2 men: Obama & Trump

In a matter of a few hours last week we got a chance to see the way we were, and the way we are about to become.

President Barack Obama offered his farewell address in Chicago Monday night. Tuesday morning, President-elect Donald Trump met the media
.

The juxtaposition could not be more glaring.

None of this is going to change what happened.

On Friday, Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States.

I hope he's a terrific president. I really do.

That would make me different than the way Republicans reacted eight years ago to the notion of President Obama. They did everything in their power to simply block him - and his agenda - at every turn. They did not care about the country, or the people who could be helped. They only saw politics, and stopping a second term. Yes, I have my doubts about Mr. Trump.

His performance in that press conference, just hours after watching Obama offer some final thoughts on his presidency, as well as some advice for the man about to pick up the mantle, did not ease my concerns.

I am taking bets on the number of times the president-elect proclaims something as "great" in the next week.

I'll set the line at 50. I'm taking the over.

I talk about the glaring differences between the two men in my print column.

Yes, my man - er, woman - lost the election.

Call it sour grapes if you so choose.

I hold no ill will against Trump.

I just find him really aggravating.

Someone needs to tell him that in a few days he will be the most powerful man in the world. I suppose he probably think he already is. Most narcissists feel that way.

It's not all about you, Mr. Trump.

It's about the country. And the people. Especially those people who are not as well off as you or I. That is the true backbone of our government. That we take care of those who have fallen on hard times.

I hope you remember that as you take the oath of office.

You can read my print column here.

Comments