Farewell to a newspaperman

I used my print column today to remember my friend Tom Murray.

In this job we cover all sorts of sad stories every day. But it almost always involves covering other people's heartache. Last week it was our turn. We lost Tom, my counterpart at the Daily Local in West Chester.

There are a lot of reasons why I have been having trouble getting my hands around Tom's death.

But in pure stark terms, there is simply this: I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that Tom was seven years younger than I am.

To be taken so young, and with so much still to offer, seems incredibly cruel.

Tom and I shared a lot of things. Our love of newspapers, the way we approach the job, our appreciation of the written word. They all seem even more important now, even if they do not fairly pay homage to the guy we lost.

I guess, like me, Tom was simply old-school.

And I will miss him terribly.

You can read my column here.

Comments