Three days later, & 43 degrees warmer? Deer me!

43 degrees.

That's the difference between what my dashboard thermometer registered when I climbed in Monday morning, vs. the spring-like conditions that greeted me this morning.

It was a bone chilling 7 degrees Monday. This morning? Hello, April! The car checked in at a balmy 50 degrees.

Of course, that means only thing.

Deer. Lots of them.

It didn't take me long to encounter my early-morning pals. I was barely out of the driveway when I noticed two full-grown adult deer standing in my neighbor's front yard. They looked as perplexed as to what I was doing up at that hour as I was to see them casually munching on the shrubbery.

There were more to come.

I usually to swerve around the deer on my morning commute. I almost always encounter a couple along the sides of the road.

Not this morning. I was forced to slam on the brakes and come to a complete stop while a full family of deer slowly ambled across the road. They did not seem terribly worried that I might slam into them, leaving one of them the latest carcass to decorate the side of our roads. They didn't clamber out of the way. They merely continued to slowly walk across the road directly in front of me, seemingly content in my decision to stop. Several followed along from the side of the road once they saw I had no intention of tangling with them. They eyed me warily as they traversed the highway.

Actually, I consider myself lucky. There are not a lot of good things I can say about the hours I keep. But without question one of them is that for the most part I have the road to myself, along with my four-legged friends.

Yesterday I blogged that I encountered only a single slick spot on my morning commute. Of course, a couple of hours later, all hell was breaking loose on the roads as the morning commute kicked in. Unfortunately, especially out in Chester County, those crashes claimed a couple of lives.

In the meantime, we're looking at a bizarrely warm day for Jan. 12.

You can get the full forecast here.

And keep an eye out for those deer.

Comments