A slice of life for an old paperboy

It was one of those 'slice of life' moments that can't help but bring a smile to your face.

At least it did to mine.

I was doing my normal maniacal early-morning drive into the office this morning, zipping along the back way I have discovered along Ridley Creek Road that allows me to avoid any traffic driving through Media. I was running late, and I was in a hurry.

Nothing exactly new about that.

Usually it's not a problem. I'm usually early enough where traffic isn't an issue.

But as I said, I was driving a little later this morning, and I encountered a car creeping along. I could feel the blood rushing to my head and resisted the urge to cut loose with my normal string of profanities. Not exactly the way I wanted to start the day.

Then the driver in front of me did something that stopped me in my tracks.

I saw his arm extend out the window and ... no, he didn't flip me the bird. He did, however, flip a newspaper onto the driveway to our left.

I just had to smile.

He creeped along a bit, and then pulled off a perfect toss up over the top of his car and perfectly placed on the driveway on our right.

My man!

Thanks for your efforts!

As an old paperboy - even one who made his appointed rounds delivering 44 Evening Bulletins on his bike each day - I enjoyed the effort - and I also noticed the paper was perfectly wrapped.

People still like the feel of a printed newspaper in their hands.

And some people still get up at an ungodly hour to deliver all those newspapers.

I salute you, my friend

Comments