Baseball is back, on the radio of course

A couple of quick sports observations:

North Carolina is now one Kris Jenkins buzzer-beater from being back-to-back NCAA champions. The Tar Heels put another NCAA men’s hoops trophy in their case last night, a year after falling to Villanova.

Can someone explain to me why it is that this game has to start at the ridiculous time of 9:15. I saw exactly zero of this game, and I don’t feel any the lesser for it.

I did, however, get to enjoy one of the true glories of spring.

I walked out of the office last night - without a jacket and with plenty of sunlight remaining in the day - flipped on the car radio, and reintroduced myself to two old friends.

In other words, for my 40-minute commute, I got to listen to the dulcet tones and easy banter of Scott Franzke and Larry Anderson. Yes, Phillies baseball is back.

To make it even better, the Phils, who had built an early lead on a leadoff home run by second baseman Cesar Hernandez and another by Freddie Galvis, held on for the win. Get all the details here.

Start Jeremy Hellickson pitched five strong innings, and the bullpen looked good until a hiccup by closer Jeanmar Gomez that allowed the Reds to score two ninth inning runs.

Listening to baseball on the radio is one of my rites of spring. In the car, on the deck, sitting in the yard, it is my summer companion. Welcome back, Scott and Larry.

Life is good.

Comments