Spreading some good news

We spend a lot of time detailing things that have gone wrong in Delaware County.

Crime, fires, a whole host of what most people would conclude is "bad news."

That's especially true when it comes to young people. Readers are always reminding me that we never write stories about young people doing good things.

It's the question I get more than any other since I assumed this job longer ago than I care to remember.

"Why is there so much bad news in the Daily Times?"

It's a good question.

I have what I feel is a good answer, although I admit it's one a lot of people don't want to hear.

That's what people read.

Still, it's incumbent upon me to try to balance that sometimes skewed vision of our communities.

That's just one of the reasons we presented to very special stories this weekend.

On Sunday we presented the 22 kids who are members of our annual All-Delco Hi-Q team.

Monday we gave similar treatment of the 19 educators selected for the Excellence in Teaching Awards.

Each story dominated our front page, and spanned four full pages inside.

Why did we do it? Many readers - and even some of my staffers - would argue this was not the most important thing going on this weekend, which is what we usually reserve the front-page coverage for.

Granted, neither of these stories probably fit that bill.

We decided to feature them anyway.

We talk a little bit about that decision on today's editorial page.

Comments