The best sports event of the year

We interrupt the Phillies push to make Pete Mackanin's prediction come true to bring you the best sports event of the year.

OK, it helps if you're a golf nut, like me.

Today is the first day of the Masters.

I've never been to Augusta, Ga., let alone ever getting a sniff of the Augusta National Golf Club. But I can tell you it is on my bucket list.

Today is the real first day of spring. Too bad it's supposed to be pouring down rain here most of the day. I'm not sure what the weather calls for today in Georgia.

Golf first major is on tap - and already there is some intrigue.

The No. 1 player in the world, Dustin Johnson, apparently fell down some steps and wrenched his back yesterday. His status for the tournament is still unclear.

Doesn't matter to me.

That's because the golfers are not the stars this weekend. The course is.

There is something special about this spring weekend at Augusta National.

Even television recognizes just how special the place is. They limit commercial interruptions to just a few minutes each hour.

I won't be in August this weekend.

I will be in front of the TV most of the day Saturday and Sunday.

Shhhhh!

Now on the tee ... spring is here. Summer can't be far behind.

The Phillies will be with us all summer.

But this weekend belongs to Augusta.

Comments