The trouble with kids today

OK, you can call me a Grumpy Old Man.

I happen to agree with Springfield Police Chief Joe Daly.

He's issuing a stern warning to kids - and their parents - about some of the hijinks that kids in the township are engaging in. It is not a unanimous opinion.

I have heard from readers who are coming to the kids' defense, asking why the township does not provide more for them to do. And yes, I am among those who are always whining that kids never seem to lift their faces up from their phones.

Now they go out, and everyone comes down on them for it.

I am lucky, as I freely admit to anyone who asks.

I grew up before the Internet age. I have total deniability as to the myriad of knuckle-headed things I did as a kid. There is - to the best of my knowledge - no video evidence. There are no Google links, no proof that sticks out on Facebook, Twitter or Snapchat. It's one of the things I thank God for every night when my head hits the pillow.

Believe me, I did plenty, and caused my parents no shortage of grief.

But I still stand with Daly, and his warning to kids about some of the things they are doing.

We take up the chief's cause on our editorial page today as well.

Comments