Why I love & respect Memorial Day weekend

Congratulations!

We survived another winter.

Hell, we might even survive another spring; I"m not really which is worse.

After another night of pounding rain, it's time to commence my favorite weekend of the year.

Happy Memorial Day!

Why do I love this annual three-day holiday.

Let me list the ways.

First and foremost, I suffer from a guilty conscience.

I never served in the military, and I always feel terribly insecure when these kinds of issues come up. That's why you will wait a long time for me to start sounding off about anyone's military service, or who is qualified to make military decisions. That's not me. I wasn't there. I didn't serve. I'm not going to judge. I'm just going to take the time this weekend to offer a humble 'thank you' to those that did, and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for me to have the kind of life I have.

Secondly, it means summer is just around the corner, even if no one has bothered to let Mother Nature know.

At some point on Saturday, the sun is actually supposed to make an appearance, and the temperature is expected to head back toward 80. Now if we could just crank up the humidity, that would be just fine with me.

Sunday night is perhaps my favorite night of the year.

I usually lie in bed, hopefully with the windows open on a warm night, listen to the creatures chirping outside, and revel in the knowledge that I don't have to work Monday (aside from my usual web work; the Internet demands to be fed and it does not respect holidays), but also that the entire summer lies ahead.

Finally, I'm a sucker for a parade.

That is why I will be there Monday in my town standing and watching the bands and floats with veterans pass by. Do yourself a favor. Try to take in the festivities in your town. We have a full list of holiday events in Delco here.

I guarantee you that you will feel better for it. A little patriotism can go a long way.

On with the summer!

See you at the parade!

Comments