Marking more milestones

I keep getting hung up on milestones.

Last week I was marking 35 years here at the Daily Times.

This week I note a couple of other ones.

One involves a huge task we tackle every year. That would be printing the names of every senior who is graduating from high school in Delaware County.

It's one of life's true milestones, and one we still take seriously. No, we were unable to get to every high school graduation this year. We covered many of them with photos and also asked readers to get involved by submitting photos of their own.

The other milestone? Well, this one is personal.

I've done a lot of things in my life.

But marrying my bride is the best one.

This past week we celebrated 34 years together. Or, as she always points out, she is always trying to catch up to the Daily Times.

Unless you've done it, it's kind of hard to explain what it's like being married to a newspaper editor.

That's even more true today than it was when I first got into this racket.

I don't think anyone really knew the kind of profound effect the Internet and the dawn of the 24-hour news cycle was going to have on our lives.

If you don't believe me, ask my wife. She'll be more than happy to fill you in.

We're still together, which is more than I can say for the many newspaper relationships I've seen end in tatters over the years

. She's still the bet thing that ever happened to me.

You can read about a couple more milestones in this week's print column, my Letter From the Editor.

Comments