A 'Sirius' problem & a new sports hero

How can a team with 81 losses suddenly become popular again?

That's easy. I can answer that query with two words:

Rhys Hoskins.

The Phillies are on pace to lose more than 100 games.

But when Hoskins comes up to bat, it's still an 'electric' moment.

That's what happens when you homer in five straight games, and hit 11 homers in your first 18 major league games. The guy is on fire.

When Hoskins comes up to bat, it's now an event.

I discovered this the hard way while soaking up some sunshine on the deck on a glorious Sunday afternoon.

As most people know, I am a radio guy. But this summer I have updated my technology. Yep, I'm going all geek on you. While my old reliable battery-powered radio still stands at the ready, I now often pick up the Phillies broadcast on the Sirius app on my phone.

I was listening yesterday as Hoskins came up in the eighth inning and deposited a rocket into the left-field seats. I raced inside to catch the replay, only to discover a 'Sirius' problem. The broadcast on the app runs about a half-inning behind the real time of the game. I was too late for the replay.

Not only did Hoskins homer again, he was at the center of a rare triple play in the fifth inning.

Philly has a new sports hero.

Forget Babe Ruth, we have Rhys Hoskins.

Comments