A great voice falls silent: RIP, Glen Campbell

First it was Motown. God, I love my Temps and Tops.

Then it was the Sound of Philly. If anyone ever asks you to explain just what TSOP is, don't bother. Just play them Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes doing "If You Don't Know Me By Now," and let Teddy Pendergrass explain it for you.

Then I decided I needed to be cool, and drifted toward rock. Is it just me or did Foghat open every show we saw at the Spectrum?

Of course, I was way too busy trying to be cool to get into much country, in particular Glen Campbell.

If only I knew what I was missing.

What a voice.

The truth is, it doesn't get much better than this.

And so the sad dirge that reminds us that we are getting older continues.

I guess we're going to have get used to this. Every so often a little bit of our youth is going to die. Maybe we should take the time to remember just how great so much of this music was.

And for, maybe admit that we wasted a lot of time trying to impress people instead of just enjoying the ride.

RIP, Glen Campbell.

From a fan who took way too long to get on board.

Comments