Our shared experiences

I guess you never know how people are going to react to something you've written.

Or maybe we really are a community of shared experiences.

I've been somewhat taken aback at the reaction to my Monday print column. I wrote about one of the rites of parenthood, taking your kids off to college. It was on my mind all week while we covered many local 'move-in' days at local colleges. But I couldn't shake the notion that Michelle Roberson was supposed to be doing the exact same thing this week.

She was supposed to be taking her precious daughter Bianca off to start college at Jacksonville University in Florida.

She will never get that chance, because Bianca was gunned down in a moment of madness on Route 100 in Chester County.

I still really can't quite grasp the fact that you can now lose your life over a traffic incident.

A lot of people called, commented on social media and emailed me to say that this particular column struck home.

I know all about the trauma of watching your child walk into a dorm - and in a way out of your life. It's one of those moments when you realize that your children are no longer children - that they are adults and no longer under your protective wing. That can be an unsettling experience.

But it's one Michelle Roberson had taken away from her in a moment of madness.

Let's all keep Michelle Roberson and her family in our thoughts and prayers this week.

Comments