Some thoughts on the 'Summer of the Pipeline'

I am referring to this summer as the "Summer of the Pipeline."

Yes, we have covered the story involving the construction of Mariner East 2 extensively.

In fact, today we're back on the story, detailing concerns of local parents whose kids will be going back to school in a few weeks at schools that are in the path of the pipeline.

That includes Glenwood Elementary in Middletown.

But even with the amount of coverage we have devoted to this story, I was somewhat taken aback by some of the comments made at a recent meeting in Middletown.

Residents there seemed genuinely surprised that the pipeline plan had advanced to this point - literally taking them by surprise.

I wondered about that during a recent trip to one of my favorite places on earth, Rehoboth Beach.

It was there, with my behind planted firmly in the sand, that I had a chance to think about what I do for a living, and what it would mean for many local communities if the traditional watchdog purpose of local newspapers disappeared.

You can read my weekly Letter From the Editor here.

Comments