The continuing discussion about Charlottesville

Almost nothing I've ever written has elicited the kind of response as my blogs and editorials the past few days in the aftermath of the tragic events that took place last weekend in Charlottesville.

I see that as a good thing.

No, not all the comments on Facebook have been especially complimentary.

That's OK, too.

People always seem to think that because I am a newspaper editor, I hold some type of special status when it comes to offering my opinion.

That's the thing about social media. It has become the great equalizer. Yes, I have a voice, but it is only one of many. While that voice appears on our editorial page, once we enter the online world it becomes just one of the chorus of voices that have been heard since Saturday.

Let's keep the conversation going.

That is the only way we're going to resolve the lingering, nagging problems with race that continue to plague this country. I have only one request - which I of course know will be roundly ignored.

Please be civil.

I can handle the name-calling. It goes with the job.

But some of the people who follow me and join in these conversations don't deserve to be attacked simply for stating their beliefs.

And that goes for both sides.

By the way, in case you were wondering, I penned another editorial today on the president's reaction to what happened in Charlottesville. I am guessing a lot of people are going to disagree with me.

You can read it here.

See you on Facebook.

Comments