This is President Trump's idea of unity?

With the nation still licking its wounds from Charlottesville, President Trump decided now was a good time for a campaign-style rally in Arizona.

It's a return to his roots, where he held one of the first rallies of his presidential campaign, and an appeal to his base.

It could have been an opportunity to unite the nation.

That's not exactly what the president had in mind.

He instead went on the attack, again condemning the "fake media," defending his comments that caused so much consternation in the wake of the Virginia protests, vowing again to build that southern wall, hinting he just might pardon Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, and attacking Arizona's senators.

Does that sound like a unifying message?

For some reason, every time the president delivers one of these speeches, he insists on shouting.

Mr. President (yes, I insist on giving the office the respect it commands):

I am a member of this "fake news media" you insist is out to get you, and is twisting your message.

Again, as I did last week, I disagree.

Here's a news flash: I don't think you're a racist.

I did think you took too long to initially condemn the violence in Virginia, especially in light of how fast you react to some other events.

I understand your belief that there was blame on both sides.

And while I was heartened by your specific repudiation of the KKK, neo-Nazis and white supremacists, I was equally disheartened when less than 24 hours later you doubled-down on your initial belief that both sides were to blame, and that there were some "fine people" on both sides.

My problem, as it has always been, is not in your decision to spread the blame. It is that your comments give credence and lend support to something most Americans loathe. In fact, we went to war to stop Nazi Germany.

There is no moral equivalency here.

There are no "fine people" involved in that movement.

Are there troublemakers among what you call the "alt-left," Antifa and others? Undoubtedly.

But they pale (if you'll pardon the expression) in comparison to these far right fringe groups.

I'm not sure why that is all that difficult to understand.

Comments