All the news, good and bad

Last week I had the opportunity to join a fairly illustrious panel of news executives for a session at Neumann University. It was held to offer help with community groups, non-profits and others in terms of getting their news covered.

It reminded me of something I always tell these people.

Contrary to popular belief, we are in fact interested in telling good, positive stories. And probably now more than ever, if they can supply that information and a photo, there is a very good chance it will be used. That's because as our staffs continue to shrink, we find ourselves increasingly leaning on the community to help us cover the news.

But I also told them something else. Something I also always tell these groups.

There is a pretty good chance the day will come when we will be calling them in less than ideal circumstances. In other words, we're chasing what some would call "bad" news.

It's what we do.

So what does Upper Darby top cop Mike Chitwood have to do with all this?

You can read about it in my Monday print column, this week's Letter From the Editor.

Comments