Elliott's boot has fans kicking & screaming

I live in a bizarro world where everything that happens is boiled down to a couple of words.

They are called headlines.

I live in search of two or three words to sum up even the most complicated story.

It's the fate of working for a tabloid newspaper, where one story is going to carry Page One every day, with a couple of words dominating the front page.

Here was my initial reaction yesterday after Eagles kicker Jake Elliott's improbable, team record 61-yard field goal at the buzzer to bet the Giants:

Everything's Jake.

When I ran that past my wife, I quickly realized that not everyone was going to get it, so I shifted to:

One Giant Kick.

I was kind of thinking of a man lands on the moon, 'One Giant Leap' for mankind kind of thing.

Eventually I changed my mind again.

Today's front page screams:

AIN'T THAT A KICK!

Yes, it certainly is. Elliott's boot erased what would have been one of the more disheartening Eagles collapses in years. The Birds were completely shutting the Giants down and cruising, 14-0, when in the blink of an eye they found themselves behind.

Don't forget that Elliott connected on a field goal to tie the game at 24 before his magnificent kick that started on the Birds' side of the 50-yard line.

And also don't forget that Elliott missed a kick earlier in the game. But the thing I remember about that kick, which just hooked outside the left upright, is how high up on the net it hit. Elliott's got plenty of leg, something he showed later with the game on the line. Elliott's boot also took the spotlight off his coach.

Yesterday I believe I may have witnessed the single oddest coaching decision I've ever seen. That would be Doug Pederson's decision to go for it on fourth and eight, up 7-0, from the Giants 43-yard-line.

I'm still not sure I actually saw that.

Of course, I also saw a star NFL player (that would be Odell Beckham Jr.) pretending to be a dog, lifting his leg to urinate, after catching a touchdown pass.

So I guess after that, nothing should surprise me.

It's a win, the Eagles are 2-1 atop the NFC East.

Just another Sunday in the NFL.

Comments