It's official: Summer is over

Everything is different today.

Actually, I started to feel this way last week.

OK, I'll be totally honest.

I got the first twinges back in early August when I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw Rehoboth Beach facing into the background.

Summer is over.

The kids who did not start school last week head back today, in the traditional post-Labor Day return.

School buses will once again clog the roads. Traffic patterns will be different.

I noticed something this year that seemed a little different this year.

Is it just me or does the sun now seem different. It seems lower in the sky than it was back in June and July. The shadows from the trees seem to form earlier in the day. My deck, which usually gets full sun much of the day, was in shadows even yesterday afternoon, with a bright sun overhead.

Not helping matters was the unseasonably cool temperatures we endured last week.

Yes, I know many people actually enjoy them.

Not me. I like it hot and humid. We're supposed to get a little reminder that it is still technically summer today, with muggy conditions and temperatures hitting at least the mid-80s.

But then it will turn cold again.

Summer is over.

I talk about my feelings in my weekly print Letter From the Editor.

Comments