It's the tale of the tape for Barry Baker

When I was a kid, I did a lot dumb things.

That's what kids do.

Luckily, I grew up before the Internet.

Before Facebook.

Before seemingly our every waking moment was captured on video.

I have total deniability when it comes to the indiscretions of my youth. There is no video evidence.

Or, as I admitted more than once to my kids, "Do as I say, not as I did."

It seems to have worked so far.

Both of my offspring are in fact quite responsible young adults.

I think they got those traits from their mother.

Here is a tip that I will offer to kids - and really anyone else - today.

If you're going to do something really stupid, don't do it in a place where your activities will be recorded forever on video. Like, say, in front of a convenience store.

That is a lesson Barry Baker has learned the hard way.

Baker rocketed to fame a few months ago when a video surfaced of him sucker-punching a man with cerebral palsy outside a 7-Eleven store in West Chester.

First, Baker mocked the man's as he exited the store. Not satisfied with that, he reared back and slugged the man in the face.

All of this was clearly captured on the store's video cameras.

When the video hit the Internet, Baker became an Internet star, though not the kind anyone would want to be. He skipped town and was eventually snagged weeks later at a local hotel.

Monday Baker entered a guilty plea in the case. He likely is looking at some state prison time for his actions.

There was even some extra drama involved Baker's plea. He was supposed to enter the plea last week, but refused to admit to all the facts that the District Attorney's office was laying out. He wanted to stand by the story he gave one of our reporters from the Daily Local News in a jailhouse interview that he and the victim had a previous encounter at a West Chester nightspot.

Only one problem with his story? There was no video, nor any other evidence, that the victim had been there that night. There was evidence, however, that Baker had been in the bar.v Baker now will forever be connected with the phrase "sucker punch."

It's all a part of the tale of the tape.

Comments