'What is your fascination with this pipeline story'

I had a very interesting phone conversation earlier this week.

As usual, the caller wanted to debate what appeared on the front page that morning.

What was unusual about it was the very calm, reasoned, rational discussion we had. I assure you that is not always the case. What also was unusual was the hour. Let's just say it was early. It's obvious this person - like me - is up and at it very early in the day. The exec wanted to know about the process that goes into deciding what goes on the front page each day, in particular the lead story. It took awhile, but eventually this person got around to what I think they really wanted to talk about.

"What is the fascination with this pipeline?"

It's not an unusual question.

In part it was sparked by two front-page packages that appeared just a couple of days apart.

On Sunday we noted the grievances residents in the Andover development out in Thornbury have had since the Mariner East 2 project has literally moved into their front yard.

Then just a couple of days later, we learned that the group actually had gone to court seeking an injunction to halt construction. That wound up in our lead spot as well.

The caller noted some of the other stories that appeared in the paper that day, and wondered why they were not in that coveted lead spot. I think it's safe to say this person is a supporter of Mariner East 2. We have not avoided that aspect of the story.

Many elected officials, including Delaware County Council, as well as the Chamber of Commerce and labor unions, are big proponents of the Sunoco project.

They note the economic upside, the jobs involved, and the importance of the project to the future of Marcus Hook and the lower end of the county.

We talked about the process I go through each day in selecting that lead story. I have said many times it's the most important of the many decisions I make every day.

I'm not sure I convinced this person that I made the right call - or that we are not piling on when it comes to this pipeline story. But it was nice to have a cordial, rational conversation - especially that early in the day.

We will continue to follow the pipeline story. I happen to believe it's the most important economic story in the region.

That means it's not going away. Neither are we.

Comments