A birthday wish

For a lot of reasons, this past year has been a most trying one for my better half.

And make no mistake, she is just that - and has been for more than three decades.

She has been the rock on the home front while I have spent an inordinate amount of time in the office.

She didn't exactly sign up for this.

As we prepared to share our vows, I was working one of the very few dayside, Monday to Friday gigs in the journalism racket. Then, a month before our wedding, all that changed.

I got a chance to do what I always wanted - to work on the night news desk.

I was thrilled.

She was less so.

A lot less so.

She did not, however, call the whole thing off.

I often wonder if she ever regrets that decision.

It started years - decades really - of sharing me with my 'mistress' - the Daily Times.

She took care of everything at home. I worked.

She raised two dynamite kids, for the most part on her own.

I was doing what I am always doing - working.

It's almost time for that to change. I don't know how I am ever going to repay her, but I'm planning to try.

This past year has probably been the toughest of all.

But she still looks like a million bucks.

One thing she doesn't look like is her age.

Happy Birthday, my love.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Hey, if you want to feel younger, just stand next to me.

Comments