A salute to the Aston Lions - & some thoughts on volunteering

I don't get out of the office as much as I used to - or as much as I would like. We take this 24-hour news things pretty seriously. There is not a lot of down time.

I actually enjoy meeting and talking to the public. They always have interesting things to say about the newspaper. And I am always impressed by how much they value it.

We value them, too.

That was the overwhelming sentiment I took with me as I walked into the Ballroom at Boothwyn last night. I had been invited to speak to the Aston Lions on a very special night. When I fielded the call from Bob Hoyt, I wondered if I was going to be able to squeeze it into my schedule.

I'm glad I did.

Last night the Aston Lions celebrated their 70th Charter Night. They've been at this racket even longer than I've been at the Daily Times.

I often write about the notion that community service is quickly becoming a lost art.

Don't believe it? You should have been with me last night.

Most of the members present at last night's meeting have been doing this work for decades. They are all prominent members of their communities. People like Norm Shropshire, the well-known Delco funeral director and member of Middletown council.

Hoyt told me the majority of their Lions chapter are in their 60s and 70s. Some are even in their 80s and 90s. One august member has been volunteering for six decades.

But that is one of the things that struck me about the group. They are all older.

It's the same when it comes to so many of our local volunteer fire companies. Most members are older, have been doing this for years, and do not see that many young people stepping up to take their place.

Our volunteers are disappearing in front of our eyes.

I salute the Aston Lions on their 70th Charter Night. It was a great affair - and it allowed me to get out of the office.

Now if only I could convince more people to carve out some time to volunteer.

Comments