Rock's sad dirge: RIP, Tom Petty

Rock's sad dirge continues.

Don't ask me why, but of the dozens of rock shows I have seen in my life - including just about every major, iconic act - I never saw Tom Petty.

And no, I don't count watching that Super Bowl halftime show. I'm talking about in person.

That opportunity is now gone forever.

We have lost another of the rock gods of our youth.

Tom Petty, leader of The Heartbreakers, died yesterday after suffering a massive heart attack.

But it was not without a bit of mystery.

Believe me, as someone who does this for a living, it is the ONE inexcusable, unforgivable thing that you never want to do. Saying someone is dead when they in fact are not is a newsman's worst nightmare.

As I usually do, I posted to both Twitter and Facebook yesterday when word started to circulate that Petty had passed away.

Then something odd happened.

I kept checking our Associated Press wire for a story. And I waited. And I waited.

Turns out Tom was right after all.

"The waiting is the hardest part."

Finally, AP moved an advisory that indicated they were aware of some news reports that Petty had passe but had not yet been able to confirm.

Then came a couple of odd developments with the Los Angeles Police actually denying a report that they had been the source of a CBS-News story confirming Petty's passing.

Then it was announced that Petty had in fact suffered a massive cardiac arrest, but was on life support.

Finally, early this morning, confirmation came that Petty had died.

It is just the latest in the seeming unending string of death of the musical heroes of our youth.

For some reason, Petty always seemed to slip between the cracks when talking about the greats of rock music.

Then you stop and think about the songs.

"Free Fallin'."

"Refugee."

"American Girl."

"Breakdown."

"Don't Do Me Like That."

Ironically enough, Petty and his band had just completed a 40th anniversary tour and openly indicated this was probably the end of the line in terms of his public performances.

"I'm thinking it may be the last trip around the country," he told Rolling Stone. "We're all on the backside of our 60s. I have a granddaughter now I'd liek to se as much as I can. I don't want to spend my life on the road."

We were all going to be forever young.

We bought their albums - yes, the glory of vinyl. We went to their concerts. They were the soundtrack of our lives.

And now, seemingly one by one, they are being silenced.

But the music lives forever.

RIP, Tom Petty.

As always, thanks for the songs. \

Comments

by chance said…
I was lucky enough to see him in Philly several years ago. Always loved him. Yesterday was tough with the changing news. Even harder today...