Two sides to every story

It is the oldest adage in the news business.

It also happens to be one of the truest.

There are two sides to every story.

Every time I publish a story, either in print or online, I know that it is going to spark a reaction, and very often a dissenting point of view.

That is the nature of the beast.

I have "an" opinion. It is not "the" opinion. Or the "only" opinion.

Yes, I have a bit bigger megaphone. But the truth is today every person with a phone or tablet is now in fact often an editor or publisher.

The thing that most bothers me is when someone accuses me of shaping the news to fit a specific agenda. I'm not sure why I even bring this up for the millionth time, but I again feel the need to dispel any such notion.

We now live in different times.

Everything is viewed through a partisan, political prism.

Here in Delaware County, we are once again heading toward the polls in November where voters will elect two members of County Council as well as a seat on the county bench and a slew of row offices.

The county courthouse has been a bastion of Republican power here in the county for as long as anyone can remember.

There are those who believe I am in cahoots with Democrats to try to change that.

It's not the case, but I know it's not going to change the impression.

We are reporting the charges made by both sides.

The truth is, I've been getting complaints from both sides on our coverage. Republicans think we've been unfair in reporting the claims of Democrats; Democrats are crying foul about the way they're being characterized by the GOP.

We have been reporting both sides.

That's one of the things we do.

One of the most important topics that we continue to cover in the county is the tumult surrounding the construction of the Mariner East 2 Pipeline.

A lot of people - many of them tied to government entities, labor unions and the Chamber of Commerce, all big boosters of the project - think we've gone over the top in covering the story. They think we are tilted in favor of those who oppose the project, citing concerns about safety and property values.

Recently, we ran a letter to the editor from a woman who specifically took some Republican governing bodies to task for what she claimed was their complicity in paving the way for the project, instead of looking out for the rights of citizens.

A few days later, I received a reply from Mark Kirchgasser, president of the Middletown Township Council. He pointed out something the woman did not divulge, she was a leader in the Mid-County Democratic Party and wife of a Democratic elected official. I probably should have know that. I did not.

I'm glad Kirchgasser responded. You can read his piece here. That is the whole purpose of an op-ed page - a community of ideas. All ideas. Not just mine. I will continue to try to stay in the middle of the road.

And I know most people will think that I fail miserably just about every day.

Oh, and other thing, will someone please remind me never to write about guns again?

Comments