2 memorable events

Couple of notes this morning:

First, don't forget to "fall back" this weekend. Turn the clocks back an hour before you go to bed Saturday night. We return to Standard Time at 2 a.m.

For some I guess it means an extra hour of sleep, or perhaps carousing (by the way, is carousing not a great word?), but to me it means something else.

It's the dread of it getting dark at 5 p.m.

Yes, I hate it. I now get to drive to work in the dark, and return home after sundown as well.

The other note is a bit of nostalgia, at least if you're of an age to remember. I certainly am.

Something momentous happened on this date, Nov. 3, in 1956.

It marked the first broadcast of "The Wizard of Oz" on commercial TV.

I remember when it was televised once a year, and it was an event on par with the Super Bowl.

They even used to have a disclaimer on before the movie, warning people not to try to adjust their color TVs, that the first 20 minutes of the movie were in black and white, before Dorothy touched down in Oz and was so memorably greeted by the Munchkins grateful that she had landed on the Wicked Witch.

We would sit mesmerized in front of the TV.

It was a time before Netflix, before VCRs, before VHS tapes, before DVDs, before On Demand.

Hell, you had to actually get up and walk over to the TV if you wanted to change the channel.

I think I liked things better back then.

Comments