Why Lane Johnson is my new favorite Eagle

Lane Johnson is quickly becoming my favorite Philadelphia Eagle.

Yes, I know all about that hiccup last year with the drug test that cost him a big chunk of the season - and likely helped the Eagles' season go down the drain.

But Johnson is back and has reasserted himself as one of the NFL's best offensive linemen.

None of that has anything to do with why I suddenly find myself offering a huge thumb's up to Johnson.

This is Dallas week.

Yes, I still enjoy watching the Cowboys lose almost as much as watching the Birds win.

Almost.

It's a Philly thing.

Johnson is from Texas, grew up rooting for those helmets with the stars on them.

But he's in Philly now - and he knows the importance this week takes on.

That was probably best explained by Johnson in talking about a family holiday get-together in which he noticed some family members still pulling for Jerry Jones' guys, not the Birds.

He said family members pull for him, but not necessarily the Eagles.

This didn't sit all that well with the Birds' outstanding right tackle.

To kick off Dallas week, Johnson told reporters of a family encounter when he had to lay down the law - to his grandma, a diehard Cowboys fan.

"Just pretty much all my family is from Texas and a lot of them say they’re Eagles fans, but I think deep down they root — like even last year, the Cowboys going to the playoffs," Johnson said. "I heard my grandma in there rooting for Dallas. I said, 'If you want to live to see 75 you better shut your a-- up.'"

Johnson assured everyone he was joking.

I think.

Gotta love Eagles-Cowboys week.

Comments