One more day

One more day.

That's the theme I used in my print column, my weekly Letter From the Editor.

As usual, these local elections can be bruising affairs.

That certainly was true this year.

And I have the lumps to prove it.

Nobody seemed especially happy with our coverage as Democrats attempt to end four decades of complete Republican control in the Media Courthouse.

The prize up for grabs tomorrow is two seats on County Council.

Republicans have not exactly been enamored of our coverage of the Democrats' claims against incumbent Councilman Dave White. They think we would like nothing more than to knock them off their perch.

On the flip side, those long-trodden county Democrats no doubt consider us little more than a tool of the Republican Party. Those ads that litter the front page of the paper as well as our website - which I don't control by the way - probably don't help.

For all this talk, my guess here is that maybe a quarter of those eligible to vote will actually make it to the polls tomorrow. The numbers tell us if both parties get their people to the voting booth, this long run of Republican supremacy should end. Democrats have a 16,000-vote edge in voter registration. They actually passed the GOP a few years back, ending decades of what was at one time a 3-1 Republican domination in voter registration.

But that's the thing. Registration is one thing. Voting is another.

Will this be the year the Dems finally break through?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Comments