The Thrill of Victory, & The Agony of Watching The Eagles Celebrate

Welcome to the show!

Literally.

Yes, the Eagles demolished another foe yesterday. This one was over before halftime as the Eagles again imposed their will on the Bears, rolling to a 31-3 victory.

How lopsided was it? The Bears did not pick up a first down in the first half. They managed just 6 yards on 14 carries. That left rookie QB Mitch Trubisky at the mercy of the Eagles' defense.

If it was a boxing match, they would have stopped it.

The win raised the Eagles record to 10-1. They have won nine straight. They are blowing out one opponent after another. So what's the problem? At least the way I see it.

Well, before we put them in the Super Bowl, let's see how they make out the next two weeks, when they head to the West Coast for back-to-back weeks against the Seahawks and Chargers.

I think they will do fine.

So what's bothering me?

Call if the Thrill of Victory, and the Agony of Watching them Celebrate.

Call me old school. A dinosaur.

But I don't like the elaborate celebrations the Eagles now roll out seemingly after every score. It's obvious these things now are actually rehearsed.

Hey, even I have to admit I appreciated the thing with the bowling ball knocking down all the pins they pulled off yesterday. I'm just not a fan of these celebrations.

Maybe it's an age thing. It's just not the way I was taught the game. Every time I see one of these, an old coach's voice booms in my ear. "Act like you've been there before."

Do I think it's a big thing? Probably not.

But I think it provides opponents with one more reason to try to the knock the Birds off their lofty perch.

But 10-1 is 10-1.

I'll take it.

But as long as I'm offering potential pitfalls, I'll offer another one. This kind of start means just making the playoffs is no longer enough. 10-1, best record in the NFL, means you had better still be playing deep into January.

Yes, I'm greedy. I think this team is that good.

I just wish they wouldn't rub it in everyone's faces.

On to the West Coast.

Comments