The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

It’s time for a reality check, Eagles fans.

Are the 10-1 Birds really that good? We’re about to find out.

After feasting on some lesser teams and enjoying a series of four straight 20-point blowout wins, the road gets decidedly tougher for our high-flying Birds.

First they have to jet across the country for a prime time, Sunday night matchup against the Seahawks. They follow that up with a week in L.A., where they will practice all week before colliding with the L.A. Rams next Sunday.

First things first: Sunday night’s game will be all about whether the Eagles can contain Seahawks QB Russell Wilson. He basically is the Seattle offense these days, creating a running game with his legs, and using his arm to fill in the holes. If the Eagles are unable to be disciplined, both on the D-line with their rush, and in the secondary, with guys sticking with their coverage while Wilson buys time with his feet, it could be a long night.

On offense the Eagles would be wise to pound away on the ground at the Seahawks, even though they will be missing two studs in their defensive secondary.

A huge factor in Seattle will be the crowd, and the best way to take them out of the game is by controlling the ball - and the clock - with long, time-consuming drives and pounding the rock.

I had this game penciled in as a loss before the season. That was before the Eagles sprinted out to a 10-1 mark, and the Seahawks suffered serious injuries.

I still think Seattle is a lot better than their 7-4 mark says. And they rarely lose at home, which is why I don’t think their current woes will continue.

THE PICK: Make it Seahawks 23, Eagles 17. Relax, it won’t be the end of the world. Could the Eagles win? Absolutely. That’s why they’re 5 and a half-point favorites on the road. I just don’t think they will. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

LAST WEEK: The Bears didn’t look like they wanted any part of the Eagles last week. The Eagles dominated in every facet of the game. Seattle will be a much sterner test. A win to kick off the Left Coast tour will be most impressive. Another blowout win boosted the Eagles’ NFL-best mark to 10-1. I remain in hot pursuit, picking another winner to improve my record to 9-2. One of us is going to give this week.

GAME BY GAME:Chiefs 27, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Chiefs 33, Eagles 17)

Eagles 30, Redskins 17. (My Pick: Eagles 26, Redskins 13)

Eagles 27, Giants 24. (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 17)

Eagles 26, Chargers 24. (My Pick: Chargers 27, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Cardinals 7. (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cardinals 24)

Eagles 28, Panthers 23. (My Pick: Panthers 26, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Redskins 24. (My Pick: Eagles 31, Redskins 19)

Eagles 33, 49ers 10. (My Pick: Eagles 24, 49ers 10)

Eagles 51, Broncos 23 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Broncos 19)

Eagles 37, Cowboys 9 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cowboys 17)

Eagles 31, Bears 3 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Bears 13)

Comments