The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

14.

In football that's just a couple of touchdowns.

But for the Eagles this weekend, it means something else entirely.

In fact, it represents something never before done by an Eagles team.

A win over the Cowboys in what usually is one of the most anticipated games of the season would give the Eagles 14 regular season wins against just two losses. No other Eagles team has ever won that many regular-season games.

So if you're looking for reasons why Doug Pederson is going to risk most of his regulars in a game that is basically meaningless - if that is even possible for a Cowboys game - you can start there.

Add in the fact that this team has not played especially well now in about a month and you can also see why Pederson believes they need the work.

None more so than quarterback Nick Foles, who was dreadful last Monday night against the Raiders.

I don't know how long it is going to take before the Birds' brain trust realizes it, but this team cannot run the same offense with Foles as they did under Carson Wentz. It's not going to happen. He offers zero threat in the run-option, and so far he has failed to develop a rapport with his wide receiver complement. Some of that is rust. But some of it is not. With what is expected to be brutal cold enveloping Lincoln Financial Field, don't look for many passing records Sunday either.

Instead, the Eagles will have to shut down someone they did not face in their 37-9 shellacking of the 'Boys back on Nov. 19. Ezekiel Elliott will be getting the ball early and often from Dak Prescott. The Eagles should plan on doing the same with LeGarrette Blount and Jay Ajayi. Whoever manages the better running game - and does not turn the ball over - is likely to come out on top in this one.

The X-Factor is that the Cowboys have exactly zero to play for, and how much interest they are going to have in the freezing Philly environment should be pretty evident early on.

I'd say they should keep the bus motor running.

Look for the Eagles to pull out a win while not convincing anyone this is the same team that many thought was a legitimate Super Bowl contender before Wentz's ACL exploded.

THE PICK: Make it Eagles 23, Cowboys 16. This one won't be anything to write home about either. But with Doug Pederson sticking to his guns to play his starters, the Birds should be able to prevail in a frigid Lincoln Financial Field. What's the over/under on the number of fans who are still there at the end of this one? I'll set the number at 20,000 - and I'll take the under.

LAST WEEK: Winning ugly. Eagles fans seemed none too thrilled with the team's play, despite the Birds getting the win and locking up home-field advantage for the playoffs. The Eagles struggled mightily but still got the win and lifted their NFL-best record to 13-2. I also was on board with the Birds winning, bumping my record for the year to a very respectable 12-3.

GAME BY GAME: Eagles 30, Redskins 17. (My Pick: Eagles 26, Redskins 13)

Chiefs 27, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Chiefs 33, Eagles 17)

Eagles 27, Giants 24. (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 17)

Eagles 26, Chargers 24. (My Pick: Chargers 27, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Cardinals 7. (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cardinals 24)

Eagles 28, Panthers 23. (My Pick: Panthers 26, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Redskins 24. (My Pick: Eagles 31, Redskins 19)

Eagles 33, 49ers 10. (My Pick: Eagles 24, 49ers 10)

Eagles 51, Broncos 23 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Broncos 19)

Eagles 37, Cowboys 9 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cowboys 17)

Eagles 31, Bears 3 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Bears 13)

Seahawks 24, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Seahawks 23, Eagles 17)

Eagles 43, Rams 35 (My Pick: Rams 33, Eagles 29)

Eagles 24, Giants 29 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 19)

Eagles 19, Raiders 10 (My Pick: Eagles 27, Raiders 17)

Comments