The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

The Eagles this week may have to do something they have not done yet this year.

No, not win after a loss. They already did that in Week 3 when they recovered from their only other loss, against the Chiefs, and held off the Giants.

But the one thing they have not done so far this year is win a high-scoring shootout. For the most part, during that most enjoyable nine-game win streak, they were blowing out the lesser lights of this year's NFL.

That won't be the case Sunday in L.A.

The Rams are for real. On both sides of the ball.

Led by Jared Goff, they are going to score points, even against the Eagles' stout defense. They can grind it on the ground, led by Todd Gurley, or in the air with Goff.

Everyone will be watching the battle between Goff, who was taken No. 1 in the draft, against Wentz, who went No. 2.

But keep your eyes on the line. It's likely the team that can run the ball and control the clock is going to take this game.

There is another factor at play as well. The Eagles got a wake-up call vs. Seattle, but they have not exactly been in their normal routine this week. They are practicing on a baseball field and staying in a hotel, maybe with one eye on the wildfires that have been devastating southern California.

The Seattle game was a test. Can the Eagles beat a very good, playoff-caliber team? They came up short. Now they get another bite at the apple. I still don't think they're up to the task.

Carson Wentz and the Eagles offense would be wise not to have another slow start, as is suddenly their habit. They may not be able to catch the high-flying Rams.

I see the Eagles falling behind in the first half, then both teams putting up points in the second.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Birds will lose two in a row for the first time this year, endangering their ability to secure home field advantage in the playoffs.

THE PICK: Make it Rams 33, Eagles 29. Two losses in a row? That's something that hasn't happened this year. This will be a good test for Doug Pederson and the Eagles, to see how they react after an off night in Seattle. I still think they're a solid playoff team, I just don't think they're as good as they looked while rolling over the dregs of the NFL. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

LAST WEEK: The Seahawks were a desperate team and it showed. They simply outplayed the Eagles, who continued a trend, bad first half, furious rally in second half. But they continued to turn the ball over, and in the NFL that is a killer. The loss dropped the Eagles to a still very good 10-2. In the meantime, going with Seattle allowed me to pull even again, with an identical 10-2 mark. I'm going against them again this week.

GAME BY GAME:Chiefs 27, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Chiefs 33, Eagles 17)

Eagles 30, Redskins 17. (My Pick: Eagles 26, Redskins 13)

Eagles 27, Giants 24. (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 17)

Eagles 26, Chargers 24. (My Pick: Chargers 27, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Cardinals 7. (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cardinals 24)

Eagles 28, Panthers 23. (My Pick: Panthers 26, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Redskins 24. (My Pick: Eagles 31, Redskins 19)

Eagles 33, 49ers 10. (My Pick: Eagles 24, 49ers 10)

Eagles 51, Broncos 23 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Broncos 19)

Eagles 37, Cowboys 9 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cowboys 17)

Eagles 31, Bears 3 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Bears 13)

Seahawks 24, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Seahawks 23, Eagles 17)

Comments