The single greatest moment in Philly sports history

The sight of Carson Wentz limping up that tunnel at the ancient L.A. Coliseum last week got me thinking about the Ghosts of Christmas past.

Just once before I die, I would like to see the Eagles Super Bowl. I'm sure I'm not alone, and I'm sure some have been waiting even longer than I.

At least some of those older fans can be comforted by the pre-Super Bowl back-to-back titles the Eagles won in 1949 and 1950. For us boomers, we're still waiting.

Not that we have not had our moments.

For instance, there is, in my humble opinion, the single greatest moment in Philadelphia sport history.

No, it does not involve the Phillies, Flyers, or Sixers.

Yes, I realize all those teams have won world titles in my lifetime.

But I am still waiting on my beloved Birds.

But we'll always have Jan. 11, 1981 - and the greatest moment in Philly sports history.

I describe that day in just four words:

Wilbert Off Right Tackle.

It's in this week's Letter From the Editor.

Comments