A very special visit - & reader

Every once in awhile one of my "fans" isn't satisfied with a heated chat on the phone, a blistering email, or trolling me on Twitter and Facebook.

Occasionally, they stop into the office to pay me a visit.

These are not always pleasant.

Usually, when one of the women who work in Classified at the front of the building comes back to alert me that someone is here to see me, I joke, "Are they armed?'

If they are carrying a package, I deadpan, "Is it ticking?"

It's part of the gallows humor that has inhabited newsrooms for much longer than I have toiled in them, which is longer than I ever could have imagined.

Bottom line is people are not afraid of telling me exactly what is on their mind.

So, no, these visits are not always the highlights of my day.

Except for yesterday.

I had a visit from two women on a very special mission.

Actually, it was something of a return visit. They had stopped in last week when I was at a morning meeting out of the office. They inquired as to when might be a good time to return.

Jackie Constantino and Michele Cordivari are sisters. They live in Broomall.

They had something they wanted to give me. In doing so, they were making good on a promise they made to their mother.

Theresa Guyer was one of my absolute favorite readers.

Every couple of weeks, Theresa would call to talk about what was going on in the world - hers and mine. We were kindred spirits. She always made sure to tell me how much she loved the Daily Times and newspapers in general.

She reminded me very much of my mother. She had strong opinions and was not shy about offering them.

It's people like Theresa - people like my mom and dad who would not for one second consider starting their day without first consuming their daily newspaper - that reminds you how important what we do here everyday really is. How much we affect people's lives.

Theresa Guyer grew up in Chester before moving to Boothwyn and then finally to Chester Heights.

She and her husband owned and operated Guyer's Auto Service and Car Wash in Upper Chichester for years.

Theresa was a longtime political figure in the county and served for years as an Upper Chichester commissioner.

She never expected any special treatment from the newspaper. She just loved Delaware County, the people in it and the newspaper that covered it.

Theresa had been in failing health for awhile when she made her daughters promise to do something for her after she was gone.

She had an old statue of a newsboy hawking newspapers. The papers he's holding are emblazoned 'Daily Times.' It came carefully wrapped - appropriately enough - in old copies of the Daily Times. I know Theresa would have approved. We both often professed our love for newsprint.

She wanted me to have it. And she made her daughters promise they would get it to me.

That's what brought them to our Swarthmore office Wednesday.

Ironically, today is Theresa's birthday. She would have been 82.

I spent about 15 minutes with Jackie and Michele. I could see the emotion building in their eyes, and the relief that they were finally able to deliver on the promise they made to their mom.

We talked about the similarities of our parents, how much they loved their daily newspaper.

I will treasure my newsboy, who now resides on a prominent spot on my desk. It sits right beside the picture of Theresa they also gave me.

Happy birthday, Theresa. Rest well. I hope there are newspapers in heaven.

Comments