Found: Rational online conversation

My quest continues.

I have made it my mission this year to discover - and contribute - to a better online discussion.

That does not mean you have to agree with me, nor I with you.

Take the Mariner East 2 pipeline for instance.

This massive $2.5 billion project by Sunoco Pipeline LP has been dubbed - by yours truly - as the most important economic story in the region.

That does not mean it's especially popular.

Oh, there are any number of elected officials, labor unions and chamber of commerce types who just love it.

They don't have to live with it in their back yard.

A lot of people who do aren't nearly as enthralled by this project, which will being hundreds of thousands of barrels of volatile gases such as propane, ethane and butane at high pressure from the state's Marcellus Shale regions to Marcus Hook.

And they are not the least bit shy about saying so.

Right now I'm not their favorite guy.

That is because I have expressed the opionion that it might be too late in the game to stop this project, which is currently shut down until Sunoco can convince the state Department of Environmental Protection that it can fix the problems that have taken place during construction and play by the rules.

But the discussion on this important issue has never descended to the level of so much of the tripe that I see online.

And for that I am grateful.

I talk about it in today's Letter From the Editor.

Comments