Me and Mr. McCabe

One of the many bad habits this job has ingrained in me as we increasingly swim in this ocean of technology is a very likely unhealthy dose of social media.

It goes with the territory. These days, news breaks on Twitter, and is talked about on Facebook. So, despite my best desire not to, the truth is I spend a lot of time every day interacting with people online.

There is a lot about social media that I don't like.

But every once in awhile it does provide a smile.

Take yesterday for interest.

What should I see when I fired up my Facebook page.

Well, me actually.

Or at least someone who looked a lot like me.

An old friend from high school had posted a picture of outgoing Deputy FBI director Andrew McCabe. Along with it he posted a simple message: "Separated at birth?"

I had to look at it twice. The guy does resemble me, although I can admit he probably looks a little better than I do. Even my wife was a little spooked when I pointed it out to her. I even used to wear glasses with that same black frame at the top and frameless at the bottom.

Here's the best part, at least for me. McCabe will turn 50 in May. I'm 62. I'll take it. That FBI gig - what with President Trump breathing down your neck - must be a killer. I can relate to the gray - and the stress of the job.

I decided to have some fun with it and post pictures of him and me side by side. Of course I posted them both to social media. Later in the day a co-worker came in and said he had received a text message the night before from a guy who used to work with us with this cryptic message: "I see Phil got fired from his FBI job."

Geez, does that mean I get his retirement package too.

They say all of us has a "doppelganger" out there somewhere - someone who is a dead ringer for the person in the mirror.

I suppose I could have done a lot worse than Mr. McCabe.

Comments