'Super Moon,' not so super temperatures

I don't think it's a stretch to say that I am not a fan of this weather.

Yet I was fascinated by something when I walked out the door this morning.

No, it was not the 7-degree reading on the dashboard thermometer. The same one that dropped to 6 and even 5 before rallying a bit to 9 degrees on the ride into the office.

This happened before that.

I walked out the door and was stopped dead in my tracks by something I had not seen before.

It was almost like dusk.

They are calling this a "super moon."

Take my word for it. It's worth getting up to check it out. OK, maybe not at the hour I get up, but it's still pretty cool. That light coating of snow we got Saturday morning reflected the moonlight to make it appears as if it was just getting dark, instead of being the early a.m. hours.

It reminded me of something I once did a lifetime ago when I was a student in Colorado.

When we would get one of these full moons, especially after a snow, we'd go cross-country skiiing at midnight. The brightness of the moon made is easy to navigate.

I got that same feeling this morning.

Right up until the moment my bottom hit that front seat in the car.

Another reason I'm not sure I will ever own another car that does not have heated seats.

Get used to it.

This cold is not going away anytime soon. We will moderate a bit on Wednesday, maybe even threatening the 32-degree freezing mark. But we'll pay for it Thursday with a chance of some snow from a Nor'easter that will rumble up the East Coast. Then it's right back into the deep freeze for the weekend.

You can get the full forecast here.

Comments