The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick (NFC Championship Game Edition)

I could have told you before the season the Eagles were going to the Super Bowl.

You know, back when everyone was still doubting Doug Pederson.

Before Howie Roseman became a genius.

Before Carson Wentz became an MVP-caliber superstar quarterback.

And before his knee exploded.

How? As soon as I saw the Super Bowl was being played in Minneapolis - in February - I knew this was going to be our year.

Who doesn't want to spend a week in Minneapolis in February?

The conditions Sunday in South Philly when the Eagles host the Vikings in the NFC Championship Game will be decidedly un-January-like as well. Temperatures during the day are supposed to soar over 50 and be in the 40s at the 6:40 kickoff. It may be great tailgating weather, but I'm not sure that helps the Birds.

After all, the Vikings play inside.

This will be the battle of two quarterbacks that nobody really wanted. Nick Foles was signed strictly to be the backup to Wentz. Now he has a chance to lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl. The same goes for Case Keenum, who also was salvaged off the QB scrap heap by the Vikes, only to take on a starring role when Sam Bradford (remember him?) suffered his latest knee injury. The Vikings traded for Bradford after young star Teddy Bridgewater blew up his own knee two years ago. He still has not played again for the Vikes.

And just like last week, this game will be decided largely upon which quarterback has the most success against two stellar defensive units. Both teams will ask their QBs simply not to lose the game.

After a very shaky start, Foles settled in nicely in the second half vs. the Falcons, appearing comfortable as Pederson dialed up a series of run-pass option plays.

Pederson again will need a very imaginative playbook to keep the Vikings ferocious defense in check.

Last week Foles was lucky several of his throws were not picked off. In fact, they actually turned into big plays either via penalty or some fortuitous bounces. Don't look for that to happen again.

On the other side of the ball, the Eagles defense must dial up some serious pressure on Keenum, make him uncomfortable in the pocket, and force mistakes. All while containing the QB, who is also a threat to run.

Don't look for a lot of points in this game, either.

The Eagles defense - and a rocking Lincoln Financial Field - will again take the lead role, shutting down the Vikings and harassing Keenum into a very long day.

Note to Jake Elliott. This is not the day for more kicking hiccups. It could easily come down to a kicking contest, decided by the team that makes the fewer mistakes and does not turn the ball over.

Field position will be critical. I don't see either team making long, sustained drives against these two defenses.

Nick Foles probably will not win the game for the Eagles. But he could lose it.

I see him doing just enough to get the Birds the win.

We're going to Minneapolis.

THE PICK: Make it Eagles 16, Vikings 13. I'm still not a big believer in Nick Foles. But I'm solidly behind Doug Pederson and I think he will come up with a playbook that will allow Foles again to be comfortable, and throw in just enough surprise looks and plays to get the job done.

LAST WEEK: The Eagles surprised me and a lot of other pundits by beating the Falcons, setting off some serious "underdog" themes. They come into this game as underdogs as well. After a 13-3 regular season, they picked up a playoff win by basically shutting down Matt Ryan and the Falcons offense. The defense will need a repeat performance for the Eagles to get the win again this week. I finished the regular season with a 12-4 mark on the season. Not a bad year. But I was on the wrong end of the playoff game. I'm not making that mistake again.

GAME BY GAME: Eagles 30, Redskins 17. (My Pick: Eagles 26, Redskins 13)

Chiefs 27, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Chiefs 33, Eagles 17)

Eagles 27, Giants 24. (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 17)

Eagles 26, Chargers 24. (My Pick: Chargers 27, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Cardinals 7. (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cardinals 24)

Eagles 28, Panthers 23. (My Pick: Panthers 26, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Redskins 24. (My Pick: Eagles 31, Redskins 19)

Eagles 33, 49ers 10. (My Pick: Eagles 24, 49ers 10)

Eagles 51, Broncos 23 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Broncos 19)

Eagles 37, Cowboys 9 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cowboys 17)

Eagles 31, Bears 3 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Bears 13)

Seahawks 24, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Seahawks 23, Eagles 17)

Eagles 43, Rams 35 (My Pick: Rams 33, Eagles 29)

Eagles 24, Giants 29 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 19)

Eagles 19, Raiders 10 (My Pick: Eagles 27, Raiders 17)

Cowboys 6, Eagles 0 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Cowboys 16)

NFC Divisional Playoff

Eagles 15, Falcons 10 (My Pick: Falcons 23, Eagles 13)

Comments