The post-holiday funk

My wife is worried about me again.

With good reason.

She thinks I am sliding off into my annual post-holiday funk.

You see, I don't wait for the Epiphany (Jan. 6), which is the traditional end of the Christmas season. My holidays usually end sometime on Dec. 26.

That's right, I'm not much of a New Year's guy. This year I worked most of the weekend. At least now I can manage to do most of that from home.

That meant spending nearly the entire day Monday (New Year's Day) wrapped in my official University of Colorado snuggie, trying desperately to stay warm.

OK, I can admit it.

I hate this next 90 days.

You might call it January, February and March.

I call it hell. Only I wish it was that warm.

I ride to work in the dark. I ride home in the dark. With my teeth chattering the whole way.

This morning something happened I have never encountered before.

When I climbed into the car, the dashboard temperature read a brisk 7 degrees, same as yesterday.

But once I got out on the road, I noticed a weird thing. It started going down.

It finally bottomed out at 1 degree.

A single digit, and not the one I was flashing at the dashboard.

Now we get to be regaled all day with the hype and bluster of a Nor'easter rumbling up the Atlantic coast. By all accounts, this is not going to produce a lot of snow for us, while there might be some accumulating snow down at the shore.

That will not stop the doom-sayers on TV from beating the drum for Armageddon all day.

What is coming behind this storm might be even worse.

You might find it hard to believe, but apparently it can get colder.

And it will on Friday.

We might finally start to pull out of this Ice Age on Sunday.

Wake me when April arrives.

Comments