A close call

I had another brush with a recurring nightmare this morning.

First things first. I drive to work very early in the morning. In the dark. It has its pluses - and its minuses.

The best thing - unquestionably - is that you for the most part have the road to yourself.

The bad part is that you have the road to yourself.

Almost.

This is not about deer.

This is about humans.

Every morning I usually see the same two people jogging in the pre-dawn darkness.

These are dedicated folks. They are out there every morning.

I see the first jogger - not sure if it's a man or woman - working the side of the road on Route 352 in Middletown.

Thankfully, they usually wear reflective gear and even have a hat with a light on it so I can see them coming.

The second is a guy I usually encounter on Providence Road in Nether Providence closer to the office. Same thing. He has all the reflective gear as he completes his morning workout.

I need to remind myself in my usual early morning fog that I don't have the road to myself. My concern is not the four-legged kind - yes, I dodge deer just about every morning. Yesterday I had a particularly close call with Bambi in the fog.

That was nothing compared to what happened this morning.

My morning jogger friend on Providence Road must have gotten an earlier start.

Because I encountered him on Rose Valley Road as I approached Providence.

"Encountered" doesn't quite describe it.

I glanced up at the road and he was suddenly right in front of me - or so it seemed to me. He was jogging on the side of the road and coming at me, not in the opposite lane. I jerked the steering wheel to the left.

My apologies to this morning jogger. I was not really trying to run you down, even if it might have appeared that way.

I was just trying to complete another morning commute.

Maybe one of these days I will stop and say hello.

And offer an apology for this morning's close all.

Comments