The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick (Super Bowl Edition)

The Eagles, we all know, have been to two Super Bowls. Won none. As in zero.

They last won a world championship in 1960, when I was 5.

Perhaps it’s fitting that no one saw this one coming. No one saw Doug Pederson turning into a coaching savant. No one saw the sudden ascension of Carson Wentz into an MVP-caliber quarterback. And most assuredly, no one saw Nick Foles riding to the rescue after Wentz went down for the season with a knee injury.

But here we are.

Eagles vs. Patriots.

Super Bowl LII.

Foles vs. Brady.

Well, maybe we shouldn’t focus on that last one. Let’s make it Brady vs. Cox instead. That is the battle that will decide this game. The Eagles’ stellar defense, led by All-Pro defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, must disrupt Brady early, get him off his game, make him move his feet, make him uncomfortable in the pocket, knock him down a few times.

This is exactly the reason the Eagles gave Cox that massive contract in the off-season. Now he needs to deliver. He’s been very good in the playoffs so far. Now he needs to put this team on his back on the biggest stage in sports.

The pressure also will be on the Eagles linebackers, in particular Mychal Kendricks, who likely will spend much of the day in their nickel package, defending the Patriots’ multiple tight end formations. Brady will try to pick the Birds’ apart with throws to his favorite target, tight end Rob Gronkowski and his shifty running backs.

On the other side of the ball, don’t look for a repeat performance from Foles of the magic he displayed vs. the Vikings in the NFC Championship Game. Foles’ job Sunday will not be to win the game, but rather not to lose it. He can’t turn the ball over, meaning he can’t hold on to it forever and risk sacks or fumbles. And he can’t throw interceptions.

This game could belong to Jay Ajayi. The Eagles should be able to run the ball on the Patriots. Look for the Birds to mirror the kind of attack Andy Reid and the Chiefs used to demolish them back in the season opener, attacking the edges. Pederson knows that offense well. He used to run it for Reid.

The game could come down to special teams, and a battle of field goal kickers.

We’ve been waiting 58 years.

I think the wait is over.

Who would have thunk it.

Super Bowl Champions.

Phinally!

THE PICK: Make it Eagles 23, Patriots 17. Jay Ajayi pounds out 115 yards on the ground as the Eagles control the game, while Cox and his mates harass Brady into an uncharacteristic off-kilter performance in the big game. Cox walks away with the MVP Trophy.

LAST WEEK: I thought the Eagles would beat the Vikings, but no, I never for a second saw that demolition coming. Ironically, Minnesota fans then had to turn around a week later and welcome their conquerors into their town for a Super Bowl they had hoped would feature their own home town Vikings.

The Eagles went 13-3 in the regular season and have won two straight playoff games behind Nick Foles and a ferocious defense. I finished the regular season with a 12-4 mark, and have split in the playoffs. I actually had the Birds losing to the Falcons, but I thought they would handle the Vikings.

GAME BY GAME: Eagles 30, Redskins 17. (My Pick: Eagles 26, Redskins 13)

Chiefs 27, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Chiefs 33, Eagles 17)

Eagles 27, Giants 24. (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 17)

Eagles 26, Chargers 24. (My Pick: Chargers 27, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Cardinals 7. (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cardinals 24)

Eagles 28, Panthers 23. (My Pick: Panthers 26, Eagles 17)

Eagles 34, Redskins 24. (My Pick: Eagles 31, Redskins 19)

Eagles 33, 49ers 10. (My Pick: Eagles 24, 49ers 10)

Eagles 51, Broncos 23 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Broncos 19)

Eagles 37, Cowboys 9 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cowboys 17)

Eagles 31, Bears 3 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Bears 13)

Seahawks 24, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Seahawks 23, Eagles 17)

Eagles 43, Rams 35 (My Pick: Rams 33, Eagles 29)

Eagles 24, Giants 29 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Giants 19)

Eagles 19, Raiders 10 (My Pick: Eagles 27, Raiders 17)

Cowboys 6, Eagles 0 (My Pick: Eagles 23, Cowboys 16)

NFC Divisional Playoff

Eagles 15, Falcons 10 (My Pick: Falcons 23, Eagles 13)

NFC Championship Game

Eagles 38, Vikings 7 (My Pick: Eagles 16, Vikings 13)

Comments