A St. Paddy's salute to the Quiet Man

It is that time of year.

But since St. Paddy's Day falls on Saturday this year, and it's not likely that I will be wearing a tie tomorrow, I decided to wear this very special item today.

I wear this tie exactly one time every year, on St. Patrick's Day.

It belonged to my father, one of the few items of his I still have, along with his Navy dogtags and his Lincoln University police ID card, which still sit on my dresser.

This tie belonged to his father, and I am told came straight from the old country.

Among some of the Heron lore, we were always told that our relatives in Ireland were named O'Heron, but that they dropped the O when they came to America.

That's a shame. I really like the idea of O'Heron.

My father picked up the nickname The Quiet Man, not so much for the great John Wayne movie, but for the fact that he was a man of very few words.

It's still one of my favorite flicks. I just might sit down and watch it again tonight.

Here's to you, dad.

Happy St. Paddy's Day, Quiet Man.

Comments