Reporting a story and trying to be fair

The name of the woman who filed a sexual harassment complaint against Delaware County U.S. Rep. Pat Meehan has never been made public.

The same cannot be said for the 7th District congressman. His name and face were all over the paper and TV. He offered a series of interviews with newspapers and TV stations to explain why he used taxpayer money - believed to be about $40,000 - to settle the complain. In the process he only dug the hole deeper.

Meehan quickly said he would not be running for re-election.

I am guessing that just about everyone in the Washington loop knows who the woman is. That is not the same thing as it being widely distributed in the media.

A lot of people don't think that is especially fair.

I think you can probably count state Rep. Nick Miccarelli in that group.

Today Miccarelli, R-162 of Ridley Park, finds himself in a similar spotlight.

A story first reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Caucus details the claims of two women who allege sexual and physical assault by the state rep several years ago.

No criminal charges have ever been filed in the case, and Miccarelli has vehemently denied the allegations.

He has asked the state House Legal Counsel for a thorough, speedy and open investigation.

Ironically, it was not Miccarelli's first appearance on our front page in recent weeks. We featured him in a Valentine's Day story in advance of his marriage, which was the following Saturday.

After the story broke Wednesday afternoon, Miccarelli issued a statement. He admitted having consensual relationships with the two women in the past, but said that "at no time was I violent or threatening to any woman I dated."

The Republican legislator vowed to continue to run for re-election and insists he will be "vindicated."

"In this case the #metoo movement has gone too far."

But he also did something else. In his statement, Miccarelli identified one of the women who is now accusing him.

We did not use it.

This newspaper's policy, like that of most news organizations, is that we do not identify victims of sex crimes or harassment and abuse claims unless that person wants to go public with their claim.

That policy is in place because most people believe were it not the case, women would not come forward with their claims. It is the backdrop of much of the recent #MeToo movement, women being emboldened to come forward. Their stories have brought down Hollywood moguls such as Harvey Weinstein, any number of politicians and even media elite such as Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose.

I think it's a good policy. We will continue to use it.

Shortly after Miccarelli released his statement, the newspaper received phone calls from lawyers for the women involved.

Both Terry Mutchler, who once headed the state's Open Records Office, and Charlie Lyons wanted to know the newspaper's policy when it comes to identifying victims claiming sexual abuse or harassment. I told them our policy was not to identify those making the allegations.

Attempting to be fair in these cases is always a slippery slope. Some people believe nothing should be reported, especially in this case when no charges were filed. But the basis for this story was a complaint against Miccarelli filed with the state House. And House leaders have confirmed they have launched an investigation.

Here is the full text of Miccarelli's statement:

Recently I received a phone call from a reporter asking me to comment on allegations that I had engaged in inappropriate conduct in regards to the #metoo movement.

In this case the #metoo movement has gone TOO far.

The facts are these:

1) I have had consensual relationships with these women before being married last week.

2) At no time was I violent or threatening to any woman I dated nor have I drugged any person.

3) After being called by a reporter, I called the House Legal Counsel and asked that a thorough, speedy, and open investigation into any allegations be completed.

4) To this point I have yet to receive the alleged complaints against me.

5) I was married a little more than a week ago, and the timing of these false allegations raise questions.

I would ask my constituents to ask themselves this: If your child was accused of something like this, would you rush to judgment, or would you wait to hear the facts?

I am absolutely appalled by these allegations and I deny them entirely.

I will fight these lies against me and my family as hard as I have fought for my constituents in Harrisburg and my country in Iraq.

Holding public officials accountable is the job of the press and public, but to be tried and convicted in the court of public opinion with no due process is simply not fair.

I will leave the decision to whether these allegations have any merit to the people of my district.

I’ve asked the journalists who contacted me to use their discretion when they informed me about these allegations. I appealed to them to do what was right and to consider the timing of this story. I told them truthfully that I was engaged in a consensual relationship with (one of the accusers) that ended in 2015, and that we had exchanged many texts and spoken after the relationship ended.

Never was I confronted with these ugly allegations until hearing from the reporters.

Unfortunately, I cannot disprove something that never happened, but I can tell you that these allegations, if true, would have been reported to the cops, the DA, or another law enforcement agency. No charges were ever filed because these are complete fabrications.

Frankly, I am shocked and dismayed by the lack of journalistic integrity displayed here.

These allegations and article appear only meant to harm my reputation and attack my new marriage. I intend to intensely fight these claims with every option available to me.

I am asking that you please judge me by the reputation I have earned as your legislator, your neighbor, a veteran, a son, a friend, and a husband. I know that the residents of my district can tell the difference between truth and fiction, and I am asking that you please exercise your best judgment in deciding the truth of this matter. As always, I appreciate your continued support and intend to continue serving you with integrity.

Thank you.

Comments