Everyone has an opinion & it's important to hear all of them.

One of the great myths of the newspaper business - and the role of the editor - is that I sit here and carefully bend and twist the newspaper's coverage to fit my own personal beliefs.

I know there is no shortage of readers who believe this newspaper has a liberal bent, reflective of the man who sits in the editor's chair. That would be me.

I would disagree.

In fact, I would say that one of the roles of the newspaper, in particular on our editorial pages, is to play the role of a community marketplace of ideas, where all opinions are welcome.

I do not reject opinions I do not agree with. That comes very close to censorship, which is something I loathe. Whenever I hear from a reader who suggests I not run a certain opinion, I remind them of just that, of how that is a very slippery slope, and a very dangerous one as well.

I would hope that one glace at our op-ed pages most days would lend credence to that statement.

If that does not do the trick, please inspect our featured columnists.

Every Sunday I run the column of Christine Flowers. And almost every Sunday I disagree with her stance on a particular issue. Does that mean I spike the column? No.

Today it's Chris Freind's turn.

Chris today offers his take on the Starbucks fiasco in Philadelphia, and lays out his case that much of the resultant protest sparked by the arrest of two black men in the store, as well as the actions of company executives, were a rush to judgment.

I would disagree.

And here is why. Once a month I sit in a Starbucks myself, working on my laptop. I remain there long after I finish my small (no, I have yet to figure out what the hell of grande is. I still live in a small, medium or large world) blonde coffee.

That's right. I'm a wimp. I don't particularly like Starbucks coffee. It tastes burnt to me. I'm a Wawa man. But I sit in that Starbucks while my wife is getting her hair done.

Never once has anyone come up to me and asked me how long was I going to occupy that table, even when the shop was full of customers. And I'm not alone. I notice lots of people sitting there, basically doing the same thing I'm doing.

I feel fairly safe in saying that if that was me in that Philly Starbucks, no one would have called the police on me. Why? Because I am terminally white. The two men in question are black.

Is it possible that I am wrong? I guess so. But that is my opinion. I think incidents like this are a signal of something deeper in our society, a problem we have yet to eradicate.

If you happen to disagree with Freind's opinion, by all means join the conversation. Pick up your pen - or your laptop - and write a letter or column of your own. I will run it on our op-ed page. In fact, just last week I featured an opinion piece by my friend the Rev. Mike Robinson, who just happens to be the pastor at Greater Enon Missionary Baptist Church. He eloquently points out why he will never visit Starbucks again. You can read it here.

I am equal opportunity when it comes to opinions.

I know that is not going to change the minds of those who insist that I sit here each day and dream up ways to push the newspaper farther to the left, merrily bashing Donald Trump and Republicans at every opportunity along the way. They will scream for the head of the editor, as well as his other feature columnist, Jodine Mayberry, who they also skewer as far too liberal.

They never seem to mention Freind, likely one of the fiercest conservative voices in the region.

All these opinions are part of the community ideas.

And I happen to think it's important to hear all of them.

Comments